Monday, April 16, 2007

Horror on campus

It’s a black Monday. The day started as usual for me until the noon when my father called me from India and asked if I and my husband are ok. He kept a message that some shooting happened in Virginia University today morning and he just wanted to know if we are safe. Then I read the news about Virginia tech shooting and shocked. I called him immediately to tell that our university is different from Virginia tech and not to worry, we are safe. Then many friends and relatives sent mails, some called. After first wave of surprise subsided, I started to think that what really would have happened if we would have been in Blacksburg instead of Charlottesville. It was a close call. I thanked god from my heart.

When I think about those 32 victims who died in this massacre, I feel very upset. What did they do? They might have studied hard to get into the college. Some of them might be international students who dared to dream an American dream for bright future. They all must have tried hard to get admission. They might have left their loved ones for promising future. After studying hard whole year, they might be desperately waiting for summer, to have some fun and relaxation from studies. Guess what they got? DEATH.

Is life really useless? Is it really cheap? Why this happened? The gunman is dead. It is not clear yet why did he take this action, but any reason under the sun will be convincing enough to take 32 lives? If somebody wants to kill himself, he should do that. Why
Do they want to take others with them? Why the killer did not choose to vent his frustration by some other way? Why he did not get psychological help? But at the end, I wonder if these things would have changed the course of his actions. What if firearm purchase by young

I feel deeply sorry for the friends and families of victims. The shock, the pain , the sorrow and the emptiness in their lives is can not be replaced by anything on the earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home